IEEE WIE Student Branch Affinity Group of Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology (SLIIT) is mainly focused on inspiring and empowering girls to pursue their academic interests in Engineering, Science and IT careers while promoting women’s recruitment and retention in technical fields. Furthermore, the SLIIT WIE motivates and encourages young women engineers to take risks and reassurance despite challenges and be a strong role model of the relevant discipline.
Our Affinity group has also received nominations and recognition for the past few years of success. WIE SLIIT as a team always supports and encourages young undergraduates to realize their potential career paths that help make decisions about their future. Our Affinity group organizes women empowerment discussions, technical workshops, competitions, collaborations and also many other events to empower women engineers, support and help the young undergraduates to explore new technical and social skills ethically by reflecting the goals of our team.
Below are some of the events organized by our team.
- Pitstop – Workshop to give female undergraduates some insight into automobile handling. ( Nominated for the Best WIE Activity Award at the IEEE SLSYWC 2019, Honorable Mention on the IEEE WIE Success Story Contest 2020 organized by IEEE Women in Engineering – 200$ prize and featured in the WIE Newsletter )
- Launchpad – Island wide Arduino workshop series and competition ( Best idea at the pitching competition organized by WIE SL section at the IEEE SLSYWC 2019 )
- Pixel Snap – Island wide photography competition and exhibition for undergraduates.
- Glamorfemme – Panel discussion on career guidance for young women engineers.
- Perpetual – Women’s day celebration together with discussions and empowerment for women leadership.