IEEE Women in Engineering Affinity Group
IEEE Women in Engineering (WIE) is the largest international professional organization dedicated to promoting women engineers and scientists and inspiring girls around the world to follow their academic interests to a career in engineering. [Read more..]
IEEE Women in Engineering (WIE) Sri Lanka Section Affinity Group
Officially inaugurated in July 2015, IEEE WIE Sri Lanka Section is now a budding community under the umbrella of global IEEE WIE community. However, roots of the presence of WIE activities goes back to 2011, where Sri Lanka established its first ever WIE student branch affinity group. Currently, there are five student branch WIE affinity groups functioning under the section namely, University of Moratuwa, University of Peradeniya, University of Colombo-School of Computing, Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology and Informatics Institute of Technology.
IEEE WIE Sri Lanka Section focuses on promoting the female participation in technology oriented professions and activities and thereby facilitating the recruitment and retention of women in technical disciplines.
We endeavor to,
- Inspire, engage, encourage and empower women in Sri Lanka, to step into a technological career and enhance their professional ‘brand’ throughout the years.
- Recognize the immense potential in women in engineering to advance technology for the betterment of humanity.
- Create an arena to showcase the skills, abilities, talents and knowledge of female engineers and undergraduates who are pursuing a career in the STEM field.
- Advocate the importance of female participation in broader segments of careers ranging from engineering and research to business and academia, but not limited to that.
- Become the link in connecting the industry and women in STEM fields and thereby adding more value to the technological advancements happening around the world.
- Organize activities and projects which boosts the skills and abilities of women in engineering and promote the entry into and retention of women in engineering programs.
- Mentor and guide the young women in junior and high schools to craft their skills and abilities to step into the STEM field.